1. First off, the country is pronounced as the MAL-DEES not MAL-DIVES. Officially, the country is known as the Republic of Maldives.
2. There are 1,190 islands in the entire country. It’s big and the most geographically dispersed country in the world.
3. Alcohol is illegal. Unless you’re on a resort or chartering a private yacht (and obtained a liquor license), do not attempt to smuggle alcohol in or out of the country as you may risk high fines and even jail time.
4. It is the world’s lowest country. Currently, none of its islands are higher than six feet about sea level.
5. The official language is Dhivehi, which has similarities from Hindi, Arabic and many other languages. English is widely spoken, especially at resorts.
6. The islands are grouped into 26 atolls. An atoll a ring shaped coral reef/sandbank. When selecting a resort, you will want to stay near a house reef to see a lot of wildlife.
7. Americans and Europeans do not require a visa to enter the country.
8. Many resorts are only accessible via sea plane. Take that into account when planning your travels.
Are you thinking of heading to the Maldives? Let’s keep the conversation going on Twitter.