First date night of the year! Although the country is experiencing record breaking cold fronts, it’s important to get out and enjoy date night. Yes, please pause Netflix and change out of your sweat pants into something comfortable, yet presentable.
Considering, most couples already visit the grocery store a couple times a month – what better way to enjoy a great evening than date night at the grocery store! I know you’re thinking….how could this be the highlight of my weekend; but Publix has branched out to cooking classes!
We decided to select the CalypSoul cooking class- a fusion of Southern and Caribbean comfort foods. Let me start off by saying, the FOOD WAS AMAZING.
The menu consisted of Jerk Shrimp with Creamy Coconut Grits, Brown Stewed Chicken with Rice and Pigeon Peas, Plantain Fritters with Curried Mango Chutney, and Johnny Cakes with Maple Bacon Glaze.
If you’re use to Caribbean/Soul Food cooking – welcome home and if you’re not, welcome to paradise.
GREAT TIPS WE LEARNED
- Keep onions in the fridge to help reduce crying while cutting onions.
- Use chicken stock instead of water while making rice. You can also add a can of coconut cream/milk and spices to take it up a notch.
- When making a roux, use one part of fat to an equal part of flour.
- Knife skills: Curl your fingers like a claw to hold your food steady with your non-knife hand For your knife hand, put your thumb on the inside of the handle, your index finger on the outside of the handle, and curl three fingers along the knife handle
- You’ll know when the oil is hot enough, when the oil runs slowly across the pan like rain drops
Our class size was approximately 16 people and I would have preferred it to be smaller, but Chef Nikki was informative, entertaining, and an overall delight. Each couple was given a cooking board and set of utensils and every couple shared various responsibilities for the meal: from peeling plantains to juicing limes. Also, there were additional monitors projecting the cooking action.
After our knife work, we were given the options for several wines and beers. We feasted on our dinner and even took a portion for a midnight snack. Everyone had a blast and we would highly recommend this as a great date night in Georgia!